Job Description: Executive Director, Religions for Peace USA
Religions for Peace USA envisions a nation in which people of faith and goodwill live together in respect and mutual support, creating paths to peace and justice.
Religions for Peace USA’s mission is to inspire and advance common actions for peace through multireligious cooperation among our nation’s religious communities.
Religions for Peace USA seeks an Executive Director to be the organization’s primary organizer and administrator, working to coordinate a bold, shared witness for peace and justice among our member religious communities and to provide a moral compass in the religiously pluralistic context of the United States of today and the future.
- Facilitate the cooperation of religious representatives from Religions for Peace USA’s member organizations to develop cogent positions and related strategies to implement their shared vision for justice, peace and response to climate change
- Develop and implement an effective fundraising strategy that depends on varied sources of income
- Act as a primary spokesperson for the organization, developing an intentional media strategy to effectively communicate Religions for Peace USA’s message
- Coordinate Religions for Peace USA’s presence with Religions for Peace International, our own member organizations, and in appropriate contexts for public witness in the United Nations and in the political realm in Washington DC
- Support local organizing efforts to promote religious understanding at the grassroots level, particularly with regard to Islamophobia, Anti-Semitism and hate crimes that are religiously motivated
- Maintain fiscal discipline, generate monthly financial reports, and ensure compliance with all applicable federal and state regulations
- Supervise staff and coordinate with consultants to assure efficient and effective operations
Qualifications and Skills:
- Demonstrated knowledge of and appreciation for the complex religious dynamics of our diverse and pluralistic society
- Commitment to the mission and goals of Religions for Peace USA, including strong communications skills, prior work experience in strategic planning, and sensitivity to the diplomacy inherent in the position
- Clear ability to communicate effectively in secular and religious contexts
- Experience in budget oversight, project management and fundraising.
- Ability to establish positive working relationships with key stakeholders including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, media, and community leaders.
Though not formal requirements, individuals with any of the following experience or characteristics are encouraged to apply: advanced degree in a related area of religious studies, knowledge of complex religious landscape in the U.S., community organizing experience, non-profit management, multilingual/multicultural background, demonstrated activism against hate crimes or for justice for marginalized peoples, experience in the UN NGO or Washington advocacy organizations, and demonstrated success in fundraising.
Religions for Peace USA does not discriminate on any basis in its hiring practice and is ADA and EEOC compliant.The Executive Director will be expected to live within reasonable distance to and be able to spend significant time in New York City and Washington DC (In other words, applicants should plan to live close enough to one of these two cities to be able to commute one or more days per week at their own expense.) This is a full-time position that will include the necessity to travel. Annual compensation will be commensurate with experience and include a benefits package.
How To Apply:
Please send resume & short cover letter outlining qualifications and position to Transitional Executive Director, Rev. Bud Heckman, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the words “Director Search” in the email subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Target date for hiring is April 1, 2017.